Contact: Amanda Dean
NOTE: PHOTOS OF AWARD RECIPIENTS WILL BE AVAILABLE AFTER THE CONFERENCE FOR CHAPTER NEWSLETTERS
DENVER—One hundred nineteen people are being recognized by ASHRAE for their contributions to the Society and the building industry at the Society’s 2013 Annual Conference held here June 22-26.
The Andrew T. Boggs Service Award recognizes past recipients of the Distinguished Service Award for continuing unselfish, dedicated and distinguished service to the Society. It is awarded posthumously to Presidential Member Richard Charles, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member.
The Exceptional Service Award recognizes Distinguished Award recipients who have continued to serve the Society faithfully and with exemplary effort. Fourteen recipients were recognized:
- Zahid Ayub, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, president, Isotherm, Arlington, Texas.
- Presidential Member Lee Burgett, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, consultant, The Trane Co., La Crosse, Wis.
- Dale Carter, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, president and CEO, DEC Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
- Raymond Cohen, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and lives in Valparaiso, Ind.
- Drury Crawley, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, ASHRAE-Certified Building Energy Modeling Professional, director, building performance, Bentley Systems, Washington, D.C.
- K. William “Bill” Dean, P.Eng., manager, National Research Council of Canada, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Mohammad Hosni, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, professor and Frankenhoff chair of engineering, department of mechanical and nuclear engineering, Kansas State University, Manhattan
- Yunho Hwang, Ph.D., research associate professor and associate director of the Center for Environmental Energy Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
- Ben Leppard Jr., P.E., principal and director of mechanical engineering, Leppard Johnson & Associates, Tucker, Ga.
- George Menzies, P.Eng. Life Member, is retired and lives in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Presidential Member Richard Rooley, FREng., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, ASHRAE-Certified Operations and Performance Management Professional, owner, Rooley, Consultants, Stoke Poges, Bucks, United Kingdom
- Alberto Sanchez, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, vice president, Global Sanchez, Tampa, Fla.
- Sitaraman Chandra Sekhar, Ph.D., C.P.Eng., Fellow ASHRAE, associate professor and program director, building performance and sustainability, National University of Singapore
- James Vallort, senior vice president, ESD, Chicago, Ill.
The Distinguished Service Award salutes members of any grade for giving freely of their time and talent to the Society. The following 61 members were selected:
- Douglass Abramson is retired and lives in Chapin, S.C.
- Bruce Anderson, vice president of marketing, CES Group, Eden Prairie, Minn.
- Joseph Anderson, P.E., principal, Anderson Engineering, Germantown, Tenn.
- David Arnold, Ph.D., FREng, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is partner, Troup Bywaters & Anders Consulting Engineers, Reading, United Kingdom
- George Austin Jr., P.E., ASHRAE-Certified High-Performance Building Design, Building Energy Assessment, Building Energy Modeling, Commissioning Process Management, Operations and Performance Management and Healthcare Facility Design Professional, principal, Shultz Engineering Group, Charlotte, N.C.
- Ronald Bailey, P.E., president, Bailey Engineering Corporation, Jupiter, Fla.
- Dieter Bartel, energy specialist, Manitoba Hydro, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- Richard Bowman, owner, Mechanical Concepts, Wichita, Kan.
- Donald Brundage, P.E., codes and standards principal, marketing research, Southern Company, Atlanta, Ga.
- Paul Cabot, administrator, national fuel gas code, American Gas Association, Washington, D.C.
- Cynthia Callaway, P.E., senior mechanical engineer/project manager, P2S Engineering, Long Beach, Calif.
- John Carter, senior associate, CPP, Fort Collins, Colo.
- Richard Cawley, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and lives in Tyler, Texas
- Mark Case, P.E., president, ETC Group, Salt Lake City, Utah
- David Conover, senior technical advisor, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Great Falls, Va.
- Hugh Crowther, P. Eng., executive vice president-product management and technology, Price Mechanical Industrial, Dundas, Ontario, Canada
- Charles Culp, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, ASHRAE-Certified High-Performance Building Design Professional, professor, department of architecture, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- Charlie Curlin Jr., P.E., principal, Shultz Engineering Group, Charlotte, N.C.
- Daniel Dettmers, associate researcher, Industrial Refrigeration Consortium, University of Madison, Wis.
- James Escamilla, P.E., president/CEO, Byce & Associates, Kalamazoo Mich.
- Kevin Fallin, P.E., president, Whitman, Requardt and Associates, Fairfax, Va.
- Donald Fenton, Ph.D., P.E., professor and department head, mechanical engineering department, Kansas State University, Manhattan
- Thomas A. Gilbertson, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, president, Thomas A. Gilbertson & Associates, Moraga, Calif.
- Krishnan Gowri, Ph.D., senior research engineer, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Wash.
- Gerald Groff, Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, principal, Groff Associates, Cazenovia, N.Y.
- Traci Hanegan, P.E., ASHRAE-Certified Healthcare Facility Design Professional, principal mechanical engineer, Coffman Engineers, Spokane, Wash.
- Lucas Hyman, P.E., president, Goss Engineering, Corona, Calif.
- Nadar “Jay” Jayaraman, P.Eng., is special projects manager, Enbridge, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- John Kuempel Jr., P.E., vice president, DeBra-Kuempel, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Hal Levin, Fellow ASHRAE, research architect, Building Ecology Research Group, Santa Cruz, Calif.
- Robert Linder, P.E., senior project manager, Karges-Faulconbridge, St. Paul, Minn.
- Lawrence Markel, Fellow ASHRAE, is principal, SRA International, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Kevin Marple, president, Benz Air Engineering Co., Portland, Ore.
- Norm Maxwell, P.E., Life Member, is president, Environmental Air Quality, Great Neck, N.Y.
- Michael McDermott, project manager, Grumman Butkus Associates, Evanston, Ill.
- Robert McDowall, P.Eng., Life Member, retired and lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- Tim McGinn, P.Eng., ASHRAE-Certified High-Performance Building Design Professional, principal, DIALOG, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Mark Modera, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, professor, director, Western Cooling Efficiency Center, University of California, Davis
- Philip Naughton, P.E., corporate energy manager, Applied Materials, Austin, Texas
- Bruce Nelson, P.E., president, Colmac Coil Manufacturing, Colville, Wash.
- John Nix II, senior engineer, Florida Power and Light Company, Miami, Fla.
- David Olson, P.E., president, Integrated Mechanical Systems, Niwot, Colo.
- Chee Sheng Ow, Ph.D., P.Eng., Fellow ASHRAE, professor, Universiti Teknologi MARA, Selangor, Malaysia
- David Rasmussen, is Canadian sales representative, Airdex Corporation, Barrie, Ontario, Canada
- John Rieke, P.E., is senior mechanical engineer, SAIC, St. Paul, Minn.
- Harvey M. Sachs, Ph.D., senior fellow, American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), Washington, D.C.
- Lawrence Schoen, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, president and principal engineer, Schoen Engineering, Columbia, Md.
- Randy Schrecengost, P.E., ASHRAE-Certified Building Energy Assessment Professional, project manager/senior mechanical engineer, Stanley Consultants, Austin, Texas
- Michael Sherber, P.E., ASHRAE-Certified High-Performance Building Design Professional, executive vice president, The Firma Group, Avon, Conn
- Donald Siller, P.E., Life Member, president, Siller & Associates, O’Fallon, Mo.
- Steven Szymurski is retired and lives in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
- T. Minh Tran, P.E., is managing director—utility operations, construction, Piedmont Natural Gas, Charlotte, N.C.
- Alan Veeck, vice president, MVA, and executive director, National Air Filtration Association, Virginia Beach, Va.
- Saul Villanueva, P.E., is principal mechanical engineer, Mechanical Applications Consultants, San Jose, Calif.
- Timothy Wentz, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, ASHRAE-Certified High Performance Building Design Professional, associate professor of construction management, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Neb.
- Theresa Weston, Ph.D., research fellow, DuPont Building Innovations, Richmond, Va.
- Brandt Williams, P.E., president, Engineered Systems Design, Duncan, S.C.
- Lee D. Woods, Life Member is being recognized posthumously
- J. Richard Wright, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and lives in Cookeville, Tenn.
- David P. Yuill, P.E., graduate research assistant, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
- Jack Zarour, senior mechanical engineer, Genentech, a Member of the Roche Group, South San Francisco, Calif.
The Distinguished 50-Year Member Award is given to persons who have been a member of the Society for 50 years and have performed outstanding service to the Society. The following 13 members are receiving this award:
- Arthur Bennett, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and lives in Athens, Ga.
- Walter Bishop, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and lives in Sunnyside, N.Y.
- Laurence Brink, Life Member, is being recognized posthumously
- Floyd “Les” Brown, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and lives in Charleston, Ill.
- Ronald Caffrey, Life Member, partner, BSC Partners Consultants, Saint Petersburg, Fla.
- Waller Clements, P.E., Life Member, owner, Clements Consulting, Evansville, Ind.
- Thomas A. Gilbertson, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, president, Thomas A. Gilbertson & Associates, Moraga, Calif.
- Donald Glaser, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and lives in Fort Myers, Fla.
- Robert Jones, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, is retired and lives in Winchester, Va.
- James McFall, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, senior consultant, MKK Consulting Engineers, Greenwood Village, Colo.
- James Newman, Life Member, ASHRAE-Certified Operations and Performance Management Professional and Building Energy Assessment Professional, owner, managing partner, Newman Consulting Group, Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
- Verle Williams, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, ASHRAE-Certified Commissioning Process Management Professional, president, Utility Services Unlimited, San Diego, Calif.
- James Woods, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, Life Member, independent consultant, Charlottesville, Va.
The Journal Paper Award honors the best paper or article published in ASHRAE Journal. John Murphy receives the award for his article, his article, “Total Energy Wheel Control in a Dedicated Outdoor Air (OA) System,” Murphy is an applications engineer, Trane Co., La Crosse, Wis. Shanshan Cai, Lorenzo Cremaschi, Ph.D., Afshin Ghajar, Ph.D., P.E., and Kasey Worthington receive a Poster Presentation Award for ““Measurements of Pipe Insulation Thermal Conductivity at Below Ambient Temperature Part 1: Experimental Methodology and Dry Tests.” The award is given to peer-reviewed technical papers with the best visual and technical information presented at Society meetings. Cai is a Ph.D. student, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Okla.; Cremaschi is an associate professor, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Okla.; Ghajar is regents professor, John Brammer Endowed professor and director of graduate studies, School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Okla.; Worthington is project engineer, AAON Inc., Jenks, Okla. John Bryant, Ph.D., P.E.; Dennis O’Neal, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow ASHRAE; and Michael Davis, Ph.D., are the recipients of the Crosby Field Award. Their paper, “Modeling the Performance of ECM and SCR Parallel Fan-Powered Terminal Units in Single-Duct VAV Systems,” was judged to be the best paper presented before the Society in 2012. The Crosby Field Award is named for Presidential Member Crosby Field, whose ideas and hard work helped shape the industry. They also receive two Technical Paper Awards, which recognize the authors of the best papers presented at Society meetings: one for the aforementioned paper and one for “Modeling the Performance of ECM and SCR Series Fan-Powered Terminal Units in Single-Duct VAV Systems.” Bryant is associate professor, Mechanical Engineering Program, Texas A&M University at Qatar, Doha, Qatar; O’Neal is dean, School of Engineering and Computer Science, Baylor University, Waco, Texas; Davis is director of laboratories, New York University Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Daniel Gibbs is the recipient of the Willis H. Carrier Award, which is given to an ASHRAE member 32 years of age or younger for presenting an outstanding paper at a Society meeting, for his paper “Measurements of Flat Oval Diverging Flow Fittings Loss Coefficients.” Gibbs is a mechanical engineer, Barge, Waggoner, Sumner and Cannon, Nashville, Tenn.
The following papers were selected to receive Technical Paper Awards, which recognize the authors of the best papers presented at Society meetings.
- Stephen Idem, Ph.D., and Ananth Nalla and receive an award for “Laboratory Testing of Saddle-Tap Tees to Determine Loss Coefficient.” Idem is a professor, Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville, Tenn.; Nalla is current product engineers, Cummins Filtration, Soughton, Wis.
- Farhad Memarzadeh, Ph.D., P.E., receives an award for “Literature Review of the Effect of Temperature and Humidity on Viruses.” Memarzadeh is director, Division of Technical Resources, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md.
The Lincoln Bouillon Award recognizes a member who performs the most outstanding work in increasing the membership of the Society during the course of the year. The recipient is George Waters Sr., branch manager, sales engineer, R.L. Stone Co., Buffalo, N.Y.
The Dan Mills Technical Award recognizes a Chapter Technology Transfer Committee (CTTC) chair who excels in meeting CTTC goals in technical, energy and government activities. The recipient is Mike Fullerton, P.E., ASHRAE-Certified Healthcare Facility Design Professional, is project manager/principal, TME Inc., Little Rock, Ark. Fullerton is also receiving the Chapter Program Star Award, which recognizes excellence in chapter program endeavors.
The William J. Collins Jr. RP Award is given to the chapter research promotion chair who excels in all activities supporting the research promotion campaign, including raising funds and promoting research at the chapter level. The recipient is Christopher “Mike” Donovan, ASHRAE-Certified High-Performance Building Professional, Houston, Texas.
Alexander Weiss, P.E. is the recipient of the Society’s Lou Flagg Historical Award, which recognizes an individual for preparing the most outstanding historical presentation related to HVAC&R. The award is named in recognition of Presidential Member Lou Flagg, who promoted an interest in history at the chapter and Society levels. Weiss is a professional engineer, Brooklyn, N.Y.
The Standards Achievement Award recognizes significant and exceptional service in the area of standards leadership and technical contribution. The recipient is Martha VanGeem, P.E, self-employed principal engineer, Mount Prospect, Ill.
The Student Activities Achievement Award recognizes a Chapter Student Activities chair for service related to the goals and growth of student activities at all levels. The recipient is Ather Siddiqui, chief executive, Environmental Engineering Centre, Islamabad, Pakistan.
Stefano Schiavon, Ph.D., P.E., assistant professor of architecture, Center for the Built Environment, Department of Architecture, University of California Berkeley, is the recipient of the Ralph G. Nevins Physiology and Human Environment Award, which is given to a researcher under the age of 40 for significant accomplishments in the study of bio-environmental engineering and its effect on human comfort and health.
Lawrence “Larry” J. Schoen, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, of the National Capitol Chapter is the recipient of the Environmental Health Award, which recognizes excellence in volunteer service focused on environmental health issues. Schoen is president and principal engineer, Schoen Engineering Inc., Columbia, Md.
Ricardo Da Silva Lima, Ph.D., is the recipient of the Homer Addams Award, which honors a graduate student who has been engaged in an ASHRAE research project. The Homer Addams Award is intended to encourage graduate student research. Lima lives in Versoix, Switzerland.
ASHRAE, founded in 1894, is a building technology society with more than 50,000 members worldwide. The Society and its members focus on building systems, energy efficiency, indoor air quality, refrigeration and sustainability. Through research, standards writing, publishing and continuing education, ASHRAE shapes tomorrow’s built environment today.