Invitation to Submit a Research Proposal on an ASHRAE Research Project
SP300 User’s Manual for ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1-2014
Approved by SSPC 189.1 on November 26, 2013 by a vote of 19-0-0 CNV
Attached is a Request-for-Proposal (RFP) for a project dealing with a subject in which you or your institution have expressed interest. Should you decide not to submit a proposal, please circulate it to any colleague who might have interest in this subject.
Title: User’s Manual for ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 189.1-2014
Sponsoring Technical Committee: SSPC 189.1 Standard for High-Performance Green Buildings except Low-Rise Residential Buildings
Budget Range: $ 75,000 (may be more or less as determined by value of proposal and competing proposals), funded by ASHRAE. Outside funding will be sought.
Scheduled Project Start Date: July 2014.
All proposals (hardcopy or electronic format) must be received at ASHRAE Headquarters Date May 16, 2014.
Electronic copies must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions concerning the Project, contact the individual listed below:
For Technical, Administrative or Procedural Matters
Manager of Standards (MOS)
Stephanie C. Reiniche
1791 Tullie Circle, NE
Atlanta GA 30329
Contractors intending to submit a proposal should so notify, by mail, fax or e-mail, the Manager of Standards, by T May 9, 2014 in order that any late or additional information on the RFP may be furnished to them prior to the bid due date.
Proposals may now be submitted electronically. Electronic submissions require a PDF file containing the complete proposal preceded by signed copies of the two forms listed below in the order listed below. ONLY electronic proposals are to be sent to email@example.com
All other correspondence must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hardcopy submissions require 1-signed original in the same order. In all cases, the proposal must be in the hands of the ASHRAE MOS by 5 p.m. EST TBD
The following forms must accompany the proposal:
- ASHRAE Application for Grant of Funds (signed)
- Additional Information for Contractors (signed)
ASHRAE reserves the right to reject any or all bids.
State of the Art (Background)
The current version of ASHRAE Standard 189.1 (ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1- 2011) is accompanied by a User’s Manual (ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1- 2009 User’s Manual). As SSPC 189.1 prepares an updated and reformatted standard to be published in 2014, the need for an updated User’s Manual has been recognized.
Justification and Value to ASHRAE
For both the design community and the code community, the User’s Manual can provide helpful sample calculations, useful reference material, and vital information on the intent and application of the standard. Standard 189.1 sets energy efficiency criteria, as well as other sustainability metrics for the design of commercial and high-rise residential buildings. The standard will be republished in its entirety in 2014 and approximately every third year thereafter. All approved addenda and errata will be included in the 2014 edition. The User’s Manual will shall contain detailed explanations of all critical elements contained in the standard as well as appropriate application examples on proper use of the more complex requirements of the standard. The manual shall include worksheets, compliance forms, and calculation templates for the application of certain criteria.
To develop a user’s manual for ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1-2014 that provides helpful sample calculations, useful reference material, and vital information on the intent and application of the standard.
The User’s Manual is intended for use with ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1-2014 when approved by the ASHRAE/USGBC and IES Boards of Directors and ANSI. A final redline draft of the proposed standard is expected to be available in October of 2014; work prior to that time should be limited to portions of the standard not subject to change relative to the 2011 version. The User’s Manual should focus primarily on the normative sections of the standard, including the normative appendices that provide guidance on performance rating of building designs, such as those associated with the LEED certification program. The manual itself should be designed for use as a whole document rather than as a series of presentations or training materials. The document must be in dual units.
The scope of work includes:
- Incorporating all addenda approved since the last printing of ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1-2011.
- Incorporating all addenda out for public review and approved for publication and/or incorporation into Standard 189.1-2014 between the issuance of this RFP and the conclusion of the June 2014 Annual Meeting.
- Incorporating all future formal interpretations, and the respective answers, addressed between the issuance of this RFP and the conclusion of the June 2014 Annual Meeting.
- Incorporating the errata (Standard and User’s Manual) issued since the last printing of Standard 189.1-2011 and the 2009 User’s Manual.
- Incorporating all future errata (Standard and User’s Manual) issued for Standard 189.1-2011 and the 2009 User’s Manual between the issuance of this RFP and the conclusion of the June 2014 Annual Meeting.
- Providing additional illustrative examples, where appropriate, to convey the meaning of addenda, formal interpretations, and errata.
- Progress and Financial Reports shall be made to the Society through its Manager of Standards at monthly intervals.
- Progress and technical questions with proposed responses shall be made to the Project Monitoring Subcommittee (PMS) through its chair or at pre-arranged conference calls at monthly intervals.
- The Principal Investigator shall report in person to the SSPC at the 2014 annual meeting, as well as any interim meetings (that occur during the contract period), and answer any questions regarding the User’s Manual.
- An electronic copy of Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the draft User’s Manual shall be delivered to the MOS who shall distribute them to the Project Monitoring Subcommittee (PMS) and the Executive Committee of SSPC 189.1.
Phase 1 will be to prepare the draft document which incorporates all addenda approved for publication by the ASHRAE and IES Board of Directors as represented by the redline draft. Phase 2 will be to finalize the document to incorporate any additional material added to the standard since the Phase 1 draft or otherwise relevant to the User’s Manual for 189.1-2014.
To fulfill the contract, the contractor must submit the following within 9 months of award of contract to allow for publication and sale of the 189.1-2014 Users Manual at the ASHRAE summer meeting in June 2015.
Native File for Editing and Layout:
- All of the text (including front matter, table of contents, any back matter such as an index, etc) in Word. The Word file(s) must be free of conditional text, line numbers, track changes, and cross-references.
- Tables must be noted in the text (where they go) and numbered consecutively as they appear in the text. All tables must be Word or Excel tables they CANNOT be unalterable images of tables. All table titles should be descriptive but concise, and each column should be labeled with a heading and include units of measurement and other necessary qualifying information; dual units must be provided for all measurements. In creating tables, the authors should use only 1 point (0.014 in. [0.355mm) or thicker lines.
- Figures must be noted in the text (where they go) and numbered consecutively as they appear in the text, but the actual figures themselves must be provided to ASHRAE as individual TIF or EPS files in Grayscale mode saved at high resolution (600 dpi or greater) and at least 4 in. size or greater. All figure files should be clearly labeled. In creating figures, the authors should use only 1 point (0.014 in. [0.35 mm]) or thicker lines—smaller lines will not reproduce well. The figures will be reproduced in black and white, so they should employ patterns or shapes to distinguish sections instead of coloring and shading. Each figure should have a brief legend or descriptive labels, as appropriate. Any text included in a figure (except the figure caption) should be embedded as part of the image file and not contained in a separate text box that is not part of the image file; captions should NOT be part of the image file. All figures should be provided in dual units. Providing two graphics for each figure – one in I-P units and one in SI units – is acceptable; such figures must be supplied as one TIF or EPS file with both graphics included in the one image file.
- Works cited in the text must have reference entries in footnotes or a references section at the end of the document. ASHRAE uses the author-date citation format.
- The authors of the text will need to obtain permission to reprint any images that they want to use from another source; ASHRAE will not obtain permissions for them.
- The text and figures must comply with ASHRAE’s commercialism policy (https://www.ashrae.org/about-ashrae/policies-and-procedures/ashrae-commercialism-policy).
- Final submission of the completed book must include 1) a CD with the manuscript in Word and the figure TIFs or EPSs, 2) a printout of the complete manuscript (text, tables, and figures), and 3) contact information for the authors in case there are questions as the UM is edited/laid out.
Additional Requirements for Project Monitoring Subcommittee
- Two electronic copies of all text, figures, graphics, and charts shall be delivered to the Chair of SSPC 189.1 at the end of the contract period, along with a listing of any software necessary to read and modify the text, figures, graphics, and charts. The preferred format for the electronic copy is the current version of Microsoft Word.
- Electronic copies of the following to be distributed by ASHRAE by either Internet or disk:
- Compliance forms in Word or PDF (editable) that can be filled out for printing or electronic submittal.
- Other spreadsheets or calculation tools developed by the committee and suggested for inclusion in the User’s Manual.
Level of Effort
The level of effort is estimated to be 800 hours with the total project being accomplished within 10 months of the initiation of work. A total cost of $75,000 is anticipated.
Additional Information for Bidders
- Through the PMS, suggestions and recommendations may be offered by the following groups on the type of examples or guidance they believe will be useful to the designer or code official:
- SSPC 189.1 working groups.
- Professional Development Seminar’s presenters.
The selected contractor should take these suggestions and recommendations under consideration and incorporate them into the write-up and examples as deemed appropriate by the contractor and PMS.
- The selected contractor should consider the costs necessary to provide for the additional review by members of SSPC 189.1 as well as by members of the Project Monitoring Subcommittee (PMS). The selected contractor shall provide at least two interim review cycles and a final pre-publication review for the PMS and SSPC members. The first review cycle will occur when the first draft of the revised User’s Manual is completed (Phase 1), indicating the structure, content, and proposed additions (or deletions) from the existing User’s Manual. The second review cycle shall occur when the second draft of the revised User’s Manual is completed, indicating the proposed final structure and content of the User’s Manual. A third review cycle, if necessary, shall include the final draft with the addenda approved by ASHRAE, IES, and USGBC. The selected contractor will provide a detailed schedule of reviews consistent with the overall time frame.
- ASHRAE will retain the copyright for all materials prepared under this contract. ASHRAE will be listed as the author of the User’s Manual.
- The following materials are attached to this RFP:
- An electronic copy of the addenda published in the 2013 189.1 Supplement
- An electronic copy of the addenda approved for publication. (b,h, j, k, l, m, o, q, r, s, u, y, z, ag, ag, ah)
- An electronic copy of the addenda out for public review and approved for publication and/or incorporation into Standard 189.1-2014 between the issuance of this RFP and the conclusion of the June 2014 Annual Meeting. An electronic copy of the proposed addenda out for public review or have completed public review. (aj, an, aw, ax, ay, bh, bn, bo, bp,bq, br, bs, bt, bu, bv, bw, bx, by, and cb)
- An electronic copy of the errata since the last printing of the User’s Manual in 2011.
- An electronic copy of any suggestions and recommendations from the SSPC 189.1 subcommittee members.
- The following materials are available upon request:
- An electronic copy of ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 189.1- 2011.
- An electronic version of the 2009 User’s Manual.
- Suggested Approach:
- Review the ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1-2009 User’s Manual with respect to layout, format, and content. Consider changes that could be made to improve usability of the User’s Manual.
- Review the ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1-2011 and the 2013 Supplement.
- Identify all addenda to the standard. Estimate how these changes impact the content of the User’s Manual.
- Identify all errata to both the Standard and the User’s Manual. Estimate how these changes impact the content of the User’s Manual.
- Keep abreast of changes to the proposed standard that may occur between the time the RFP is issued and the expected completion of the proposed draft standard in June 2014. Consider how these changes impact the content of the User’s Manual.
- Communicate with the Chair of SSPC 189.1, the PMS and ASHRAE’s Professional Development Seminar on Standard 189.1, to help identify areas where additional examples or clarifications of the Standard’s intent might be needed.
- Implement the changes in a draft with underlines and strikeouts. Include only material that has been changed or modified (for SSPC 189.1 and PMS review include at least one paragraph before and after changes and include 2009 User’s Manual page numbers).
- Review the changes with ASHRAE and the SSPC 189.1. Address all review comments and reach agreement on the substance of each change.
- Develop formatting and graphics to produce the revised User’s Manual for publication by ASHRAE. This task includes updating the index and table of contents, composing each page, and providing consistent headers and footers.
- Submit the document for final review and approval by ASHRAE to verify that changes have been accurately implemented.
- Submit the project files, including source documents, for publication of the User’s Manual by ASHRAE.
Contents of the User’s Manual
The current table of contents of the 2009 User’s Manual, scope, and format has been received favorably. The 2014 version should mirror as much as possible the structure and organization of the 2009 manual.
This is a "Work for Hire". ASHRAE will publish and hold the exclusive copyright to the Manual, including associated software and source code. Only ASHRAE may license use of the Manual to third parties. Reprint permission by owner of copyright must accompany any material, illustrations, graphics, or photographs used from outside sources. All materials developed for this work will be treated as confidential material that cannot be disclosed to third parties without the written permission of ASHRAE.
Proposal Evaluation Criteria
The contractor must have demonstrated familiarity with ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1-2011 and the 2009 User’s Manual.
- Contractor’s understanding of Work Statement as demonstrated in
proposal. 20 %
- Contractor’s experience with building design and HVAC design and sustainability that falls under the scope of 189.1-2011. 25 %
- Contractor’s familiarity with the development and implementation of ASHRAE Standard 189.1. 25%
- Qualifications and experience of personnel for project. 20 %
- Demonstrated ability to fulfill the terms of the contract. 10 %
- ASHRAE SSPC 189.1. “ Standard for High-Performance Green Buildings Except Low Rise Residential Buildings”. ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1-2011. Available from the ASHRAE Bookstore or ASHRAE Manager of Publications.
- ASHRAE. “ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1-2009 User’s Manual”. Available from the ASHRAE Bookstore or ASHRAE Manager of Publications.