What does STEM stand for?
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering & Math.
Why is STEM important?
The National STEM Education Coalition, in which ASHRAE is a member, works aggressively to raise awareness and advocates for the strengthening of STEM-related programs at all levels (K-12 and undergraduate) for educators and students and increased federal investments in STEM education. They also support robust federal investments in basic scientific research to inspire current and future generations of young people to pursue careers in STEM fields. Our nation must improve the way our students learn science, mathematics, technology and engineering.
The Coalition’s objective is to support new and innovative initiatives that will help improve the content, knowledge, skills and professional development of the K-12 STEM teacher workforce and informal educators. They also strive to improve the resources available in STEM classrooms and other learning environments.
What’s ASHRAE’s Role in STEM?
As a member of The National Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Education Coalition, ASHRAE is dedicated to ensuring quality STEM programs for teachers and students all around the world. ASHRAE formed a committee of ASHRAE members dedicated to this topic to research STEM issues as it pertains to specific age groups.
Through extensive research, this committee put together a recommended course of action for ASHRAE role in the STEM initiative:
- Relay the importance of member involvement in STEM related activities from the leadership of the Society.
- Tailor our message to fit Gen Y’s deep and compelling belief in sustainability and the environment.
- Energize the Society as a whole by launching the STEM program through ASHRAE’s student branches.
- Have both YEA and ASHRAE members serve as mentors to the Student Branches.
- Implement an incentive program to inspire and motivate student branches to action.
- Develop a consortium of STEM organizations to take advantage of existing programs and initiatives.
As a member of The National Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Education Coalition, ASHRAE is dedicated to ensuring quality STEM programs for teachers and students all around the world.
With the declining number of people entering into the engineering profession, the next generation (K-12) needs your leadership now more than ever. Student branch members and chapter members, get involved at your local school systems participating in or initiating following activities (not limited to…be creative!)
- Classroom visits,
- Student technical tours
- Science fairs
- Classroom experiments
- Science fairs
- Campus visits
- Career Fairs