Undergraduate Engineering Scholarships
Annual Application Deadline: December 1
Scholarships are awarded for the academic year following the application deadline beginning with the fall semester. Re-applications accepted from former scholarship applicants and recipients who meet current criteria.
Scholarships are available to full-time undergraduate engineering or pre-engineering students pursuing a Bachelor of Science or Engineering degree in a course of study that has traditionally been a preparatory curriculum for the HVAC&R profession. Applicants must have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a scale where 4.0 is the highest and/or a class standing of no less than the top 30% and meet at least one of the following criteria:
For a list of accredited programs or schools with an ASHRAE student branch, click on the links provided above or contact Lois Benedict at firstname.lastname@example.org or 678-539-1120 (direct).
- Willis H. Carrier Scholarships. Two one-year scholarships awarded $5,000 per semester. Scholarship was established by The Carrier Corporation in memory of its founder, who’s known widely for his numerous and significant contributions to establishing air conditioning as an industry. Carrier installed the world’s first scientifically designed air conditioning system in 1902.
- Reuben Trane Scholarships. Three two-year scholarships awarded $5,000 per year. Scholarship was established in memory of The Trane Company founder; an engineer, inventor & business executive, whose manufacturing enterprise ranks today as one of the world’s largest in the HVAC&R industry.
$5,000 One-Year Scholarships
- Frank M. Coda Scholarship established in memory of ASHRAE’s former Executive Vice President, who served the Society from 1981-2004.
- Lynn G. Bellenger Scholarship to benefit women in engineering. Scholarship is named in memory of ASHRAE’s first woman president (2010-2011). Presidential Theme: Modeling a Sustainable World
- Gordon V. R. Holness Scholarship named for a former ASHRAE President (2009-2010). Presidential Theme: Sustaining Our Future by Rebuilding our Past
- Alwin B. Newton Scholarship named for an industry pioneer who was granted 219 patents.
- Duane Hanson Scholarship named for the president of Gayner Engineers, a consulting mechanical/electrical engineering firm in San Francisco, California.
- ASHRAE Memorial Scholarship
- ASHRAE General Scholarship
$3,000 One-Year Scholarships
- Henry Adams Scholarship established by Henry Adams, Inc, a consulting firm based in Baltimore, Maryland, in memory of its founder, a charter member and sixth president of ASHRAE’s predecessor society, ASHVE, in 1899.
Applications and the following documents must be submitted on or before the application deadline to receive consideration.
- Official transcript of college grades. Transcript must be mailed. Photocopies will not be accepted.
- Three signed letters of recommendation as follows: one from an instructor or faculty advisor, a current or past employer, and another character reference (other than a family member). In cases where the institution has an ASHRAE student branch on campus, a letter from the faculty advisor of that branch may be one of the three letters of recommendation.
Apply Now >>