Undergraduate Engineering Scholarships
Annual Application Deadline: December 1
Scholarships are awarded for the academic year following the application deadline beginning with the fall semester. Re-applications accepted from former scholarship applicants and recipients who meet the current criteria.
Available to full-time undergraduate engineering or pre-engineering students pursuing a Bachelor of Science or Engineering degree in a course of study that traditionally has been a preparatory curriculum for the HVAC&R profession. Applicants must have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a scale where 4.0 is the highest and/or a class standing of no less than the top 30% and be enrolled in a program at a post-secondary educational institution that meets at least one of the following criteria:
For a list of schools with an ASHRAE student branch or accrediting agencies recognized by ASHRAE for the purpose of granting a scholarship, click on the links provided above or contact Lois Benedict at email@example.com or 678-539-1120 (direct).
Application and the following documents must be submitted on or before the application deadline.
- Official transcript of college grades (College freshmen whose grades are not available by the application deadline submit an official transcript of high school grades and verification of enrollment in a post-secondary educational institution). Transcript must be mailed. Photocopies will not be accepted.
- Three signed letters of recommendation as follows: one from an instructor or faculty advisor, a current or past employer, and another character reference (other than a family member). In the case of institutions with an ASHRAE student branch, a letter from the faculty advisor of that branch may be one of the three letters of recommendation.
- Willis H. Carrier Scholarships. Two one-year scholarships awarded $5,000 per semester. Scholarship was established by The Carrier Corporation in memory of its founder, who’s known widely for his numerous and significant contributions to establishing air conditioning as an industry. Carrier installed the world’s first scientifically designed air conditioning system in 1902.
- Reuben Trane Scholarships. Scholarships awarded over two years ($5,000 per year). Scholarship was established in memory of The Trane Company founder; an engineer, inventor & business executive, whose manufacturing enterprise ranks today as one of the world’s largest in the HVAC&R industry.
$5,000 One-Year Scholarships
- Frank M. Coda Scholarship established in memory of ASHRAE’s former Executive Vice President, who served the Society from 1981-2004.
- Lynn G. Bellenger Scholarship to benefit women in engineering. Scholarship is named in memory of ASHRAE’s first woman president (2010-2011).
- Alwin B. Newton Scholarship named for an industry pioneer who was granted 219 patents.
- Duane Hanson Scholarship named after the president of Gayner Engineers, a consulting mechanical/electrical engineering firm in San Francisco, California.
- ASHRAE Legacy Scholarship honors living or deceased members of ASHRAE who have made major contributions to the arts and sciences of the HVAC&R industry.
- ASHRAE General Scholarships (2 available)
$3,000 One-Year Scholarships
- Henry Adams Scholarship established by Henry Adams, Inc, a consulting firm based in Baltimore, Maryland, in memory of its founder, a charter member and sixth president of ASHRAE’s predecessor society, ASHVE, in 1899.